Sometime after the release of the Ghostbusters reboot of 2016 flopped and the sequel was cancelled. As an alternative to a sequel, Sony decided to make an animated film as a tie-in for the new franchise after it was released. However, the announced film has not been announced since then. It was scheduled to be released sometime in either 2018 or 2019.
Why It Was Cancelled
- The Ghostbusters reboot failed at the box office.
- Sony wants to move forward with the original franchise and forget about the reboot.
- It is unknown what the fate of the film is. It may end up becoming a tie-in for Afterlife since Sony cancelled everything to do with the 2016 film.
- The 2016 film is stand-alone with only being related to a series of IDW comics.
- Sony will be releasing Ghostbusters: Afterlife which is scheduled to be released in the Spring of 2021. The film will have most of the original cast returning to reprise their roles including Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray and Ernie Hudson.