Thomas and the Magic Railroad 2 is a cancelled sequel to the 2000 film Thomas and the Magic Railroad, it was being worked on during production of said film. It would have been the second theatrical film based on the television series Thomas & Friends.
The plot is currently unknown.
Why It Was Cancelled
- While the first film made money, it did not make enough to be deemed 'successful'.
- Many script re-writes were made during production of the first film, meaning that the team producing the sequel may have had a hard time keeping up with the new scripts and story alterations as the sequel was being worked on around the time of the first.
- P.T. Boomer was likely to still be in the script during its production and if so, it would likely already been set in the story for its plot meaning that the audience would not know who he is and may have also been frightened by him. It's also the reason why he was cut from the film.
- It is currently unknown wither the first film's cast or voice cast would've returned to reprise their roles.
- This sequel has been cancelled, and due to the failure of Thomas and the Magic Railroad, no other regular theatrical Thomas films have been released, though there are some other theatrical appearances of Thomas like the specials, some rail excursions and the 2015 film Ant-Man featured an appearance of a Bachmann model of Thomas.
- Diesel 10 and Lady would appear in later future direct-to-DVD films such as Calling All Engines (Which was the only one that Lady appeared in), The Great Discovery, Misty Island Rescue, and Day of the Diesels. Diesel 10 would appear in one episode of the seventeenth series.
- A book titled Diesel 10 Means Trouble was published in 2000 a few days after the release of the film, preserved some elements of the original plot of Thomas And The Magic Railroad.
- This would have been Gullane Pictures and Destination films' second feature film and Britt Allcroft's second film as writer and director.
- This film would have possibly featured more of the television series' characters who were also absent from the first film like Edward the Blue Engine, Duck the Great Western Engine, Donald and Douglas, Oliver, Diesel, and possibly Mavis and Daisy.