Sometime in the late 1990s, Universal Studios planned on making a sequel to the 1994 Flintstones film titled The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas. It was originally going to have John Goodman reprise his role as Fred Flintstone and the rest of the main cast reprise their roles as well. The film was going to be directed by Brian Levant (who also did the first film).
The plot was presumably going to involve having the Flintstones and the Rubbles go on vacation to Rock Vegas. Rest of the plot is unknown.
Why It Was Cancelled
- John Goodman and the rest of the original cast decided not to star in it.
- The kids who played Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm were (and still are) too old to reprise their roles respectively if they were going to come back for the film.
- Rick Moranis retired from acting a few years earlier after his wife died in order to take care of his kids.
- John Goodman as Fred Flintstone
- Elizabeth Perkins as Wilma Flintstone
- Rick Moranis as Barney Rubble (later dropped out after loss of wife, mentioned earlier, later replaced by Stephen Baldwin)
- Rosie O'Donnell as Betty Rubble
Rest of the cast is unknown.
- The sequel version was permanently cancelled after the original cast decided not to return and was changed into a prequel starring Mark Addy as Fred Flintstone, Stephen Baldwin as Barney Rubble, Jane Krakowski as Betty and Kristen Johnston as Wilma. Unlike the 1994 film, which was a smash hit, Viva Rock Vegas was a box office disaster.