Tarzan of the Apes is a cancelled animated film adaptation of the novel of the same name by Edgar Rice Burroughs that was to be produced by Michael Wildshill at Multimedia Animation for Universal Studios.
The plot would have been the same as the novel.
Why It Was Cancelled
- Disney was already working on a film of their own.
- Multimedia found the screenplay not very faithful to the source material.
- Many of the Multimedia Animation staff went on to work at Universal's animation facility in Universal City.
- Michael Wildshill was busy working at Universal Animation.
- After Multimedia cancelled their plans for a film adaptation, Disney released an animated version of their own in 1999 and was a box office hit.