In the early 2000s, there were plans for an adaptation of Rapunzel Unbraided. It was supposed to have a mix of CGI and traditional animation. It was later titled to Rapunzel. Originally a traditional musical film, it was changed into a comedy parody after Shrek's massive success.
A witch named Lucretia despises happy endings and two teenagers who do not really like each other named Vince and Claire would later put their differences aside and team together to defeat Lucretia.
- Reese Witherspoon as Claire
- Dan Fogler as Vince
- Kristin Chenoweth as Rapunzel
Why It Was Cancelled
- Most of The cancellation reasons are currently unknown, though its rumored that it was due to Michael Eisner leaving Disney in 2005. Because of this, the project was changed back to a traditional film.
- Glen Keane left the project during mid-production because of "non-life threatening health issues".
- The original version of Rapunzel Unbraided was permanently cancelled.
- The 2007 release moved to 2010.
- Some elements from this film were used in the 2010 film Tangled.
- The idea of mocking fairy tales was reporpused into the 2007 live-action/animated hybrid film, Enchanted.