Popeye was a cancelled film based off the Popeye cartoon characters. The film was directed by Genndy Tartakovsky and was supposed to be released by Sony.
- Grey DeLisle-Griffin as Olive Oyl
- Tom Kenny as Popeye
Why It Was Cancelled
- It would seem a bit strange to make a film about characters from old cartoons when their popularity has faded away in recent years. (unlike The Peanuts Movie).
- Production of the film was canceled in favor of producing The Emoji Movie.
- Possible development issues may have caused this film to be cancelled.
- The Sony Hack may have also caused it to be cancelled since the film was first in development in 2014.
- When the film was finished, it was panned and director Genndy Tartakovsky cancelled the film.
- The trailer was leaked online.
- As of now, there are no updates reported for the film since 2016. The film currently remains in development, at Sony Pictures Animation and its true fate is either unknown or unlikely.
- Production of the film was later replaced by The Emoji Movie, which was released in 2017. However, despite being a modest box office success, the latter film was a critical failure due to the plot having similarities to the plots of Wreck-It Ralph, The Lego Movie, and Inside Out, as the fact that it caused major backlash and controversies against Sony and the crew who worked on the film before and after the film's release, with the ones that most notably came from the Internet.
- Sony went on to release three animated films in 2016, Open Season: Scared Silly, The Angry Birds Movie, and Sausage Party.
- Popeye's Island Adventures was a web series which was released on YouTube on December 2nd, 2018.