Horton Hears a Who! was a planned film based on the book of the same name with director Tim Burton at the helm. It was planned to be released by Universal Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, The Zanuck Company, Plan B Entertainment and Imagine Entertainment altogether. The film was announced and planned for a release in November 2005.
The plot is the same as the book.
Why It Was Cancelled
- Bo Welch's The Cat in the Hat was panned by critics and fans of the character alike and was also a box-office disappointment.
- Audrey Giesel, the widow of Dr. Seuss banned all future live-action adaptations of her late husband's work following the release of The Cat in the Hat.
- Tim Burton was too busy working on the remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at the time
- The film was permanently cancelled
- In 2008, 20th Century Fox and Blue Sky Studios released a new version of the film which was released on March 14, 2008, with Jim Carrey as Horton and Steve Carell as Mayor Ned McDodd and directed by Jimmy Hayward and Steve Martino
- Tim Burton went to work on a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory remake.